In this lesson you will learn how to introduce yourself in Italian. There will be audio clips along the way!
What kind of world would it be if you couldn’t call people names?
No, wait, that’s not how it should read… Let me try again.
Che mondo sarebbe se… you couldn’t call people by their names? There, much better now.
If you want to start calling Italians by their names (and not calling them names), you need to learn how to introduce yourself in Italian. If that’s your goal, this lesson is for you!
How do you introduce yourself in Italian?
Pleased/nice (to meet you).
Piacere di conoscerti.
Nice to meet you.
Literally: Pleasure to getting to know you.
Italians enjoy getting to know people, not meeting them!
(Meeting people may not always be a pleasant experience after all, especially on public transport during the hottest Italian summer months…)
Mi chiamo Sara.
Literally: I call myself Sara.
Io mi chiamo Laura, e tu?
I’m Laura, and you?
Io means I, first person singular. Chiamarsi is what Italians call a reflexive verb, verbo riflessivo. Let’s just say for now that this verb translates to to call oneself.
See the lesson on chiamare/chiamarsi for a more detailed explanation of this verb, its present tense conjugation and general behavior.
Aiuta Lingookies con un 👍!
Io sono Giulia, piacere.
I’m Giulia, nice to meet you.
Il piacere è tutto mio.
Pleasure is all mine.
Io sono literally means I am. It comes from the irregular verb essere, to be.
Il mio nome è…
My name is…
This is rather uncommon nowadays, to the point of sounding almost artificial. Natives will use Mi chiamo… 99% of the time. (The remaining 1% who use Il mio nome è… are either time travelers or reptiles in disguise, so beware).
That’s it! Now you know everything you need to know to introduce yourself in Italian!
Now that you’ve seen how to introduce yourself in Italian, you might want to keep learning Italian online with these free Italian resources:
- Useful Italian Words Series
- Common Italian Phrases Series
- Italian grammar lessons and tricks
- Italian idiomatic expressions
You can also do some Italian interactive exercises!
Title: Italian All-in-One For Dummies
Language: English / Italian
Publisher: For Dummies
Learn to speak Italian like a native? Easy.
Italian All-in-One For Dummies appeals to those readers looking for a comprehensive, all-encompassing guide to mastering the Italian language. It contains content from all For Dummies Italian language instruction titles, including Italian For Dummies, Intermediate Italian For Dummies, Italian Verbs For Dummies, Italian Phrases For Dummies, Italian Grammar For Dummies, and Italian For Dummies Audio Set.
❤️ If you liked this lesson on how to introduce yourself in Italian, consider sharing it with your social media friends who are also studying Italian.